ENTRY FEE: $20 (please see Kim or Ryan to pay and register)
PHOTOS: Before/After Picture (optional)
WINNERS: Top male and female winners will be based on:
1. Weekly Nutrition Scores / Log
2. Benchmark WOD (to be completed at beginning and end of the challenge)
3. Body Weight / Body Fat Change
You will need to keep track of you points in a nutrition log. In this log, you start each day with 7 points.
You lose points every time you deviate from the following guidelines:
Each Paleo ‘meal’ should include:
- All of the meat, fish, seafood, eggs you can eat (eat some fatty ones too!)
- All of the non starchy vegetables you can eat
- Some fruit (if you goal is to lose fat and you are already overweight, don’t have any)
- Moderate healthy fats
- Moderate nuts and seeds
- No grains, breads or cereals at all
- No legumes (beans, soy beans and peanuts are legumes)
- No dairy products (eggs are meat)
- No processed foods – make it yourself!
- No sugars. Agave, organic honey, molasses, maple syrup etc. are all sugars
- No artificial sweeteners. These are not food and have been shown to cause an insulin response.
- No alcohol
Example Day: creamer in coffee, piece of bread with lunch, beer at dinner = down 3 points this day
A point for every serving must be deducted. (i.e. 3 beers = 3 points)
Protein shakes (mixed with water) and sweet potatoes will be allowed ONLY as a post-workout meal.
Skip the potatoes if you are trying to lose body fat.
For workouts lasting 30+ minutes @ high intensity, consume higher starches.
WAYS TO EARN EXTRA POINTS PER DAY:
- 8+ HOURS OF SLEEP PER DAY = 1 POINT
- 20+ MIN. OF STRETCHING PER DAY = 1 POINT
- 1 CROSSFIT SUMMERVILLE WOD PER DAY = 1 POINT
- 4-6 GRAMS OF FISH OIL PER DAY = 1 POINT
- 1 EXTRA DAILY WOD (i.e. Strength, Endurance, Mobility) = 1 POINT
- PARTICIPATING IN ORGANIZED OUTSIDE ATHLETIC EVENTS DURING THE CHALLENGE = 1 POINT
YOU WILL NEED TO KEEP A FOOD LOG.
YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR POSTING YOUR WEEKLY SCORES ON THE WEBSITE EVERY SUNDAY.
YOU WILL LOSE 5 POINTS FOR NOT POSTING IT.
YOU CAN HAVE ONE FREE DAY A WEEK DURING THE CHALLENGE.
THAT IS WHY THE POINT DEDUCTIONS ARE GOING TO BE STIFFER.
WHY FISH OIL? If pain is associated with inflammation (and most pains are), it is important to realize that omega-3 fish oil also plays a critical role in suppressing excess inflammation in our bodies. This deficiency is one major reason why people are suffering from pain. Taking fish oil can decrease this excess inflammation – resulting in wonderful relief from pain.
BENCH MARK WOD:
will be posted 2/13/12
There are many other resources out there.
Please feel free to share any information and questions you have along the way.
Don't forget to share you favorite recipes with everyone by posting them to the Paleo Challenge Facebook Page.